Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Forging a New Friendship

Elder Scott has inspired me. Let me explain. In the October 2011 general conference he said this "Great power can come from memorizing scriptures. To memorize a scripture is to forge a new friendship. It is like discovering a new individual who can help in time of need, give inspiration and comfort, and be a source of motivation for needed change." I remember when he said that, I wanted to start memorizing scriptures, but I never got around to it. I think I tried, but I just didn't get very far. Memorization doesn't come easily for me.

Well, when Elder Scott mentioned how many scriptures we could memorize if we reviewed a scripture as often as we sent text messages, I was hit with the Spirit. I didn't think it would be reasonable for me to review a scripture every time I sent a text (that's a lot) but I check facebook/email/blog a ton during the day! So... I have decided to review one scripture mastery every time I get on facebook/email/blog. I have done this for about 24 hours and I already almost have the first scripture mastery memorized! I'm so excited (I just try not to think about what that is saying about my facebook/email/blog time :) ) If I can really keep at it, I really could have all the scripture masteries memorized again!

There is power in memorized scripture. One time I was able to see it. I had a friend who was going through a really hard time in her life, and she was crying with me and her mom, and talking about how difficult this time in her life was. We were all crying, and talking, and her mom was comforting her. Then she quoted a scripture word for word, and the power of the quoted scripture was amazing! The Spirit came into our conversation so strongly and gave her so much peace. I decided then and there, that I wanted to be able to do that with my children. I really hope that I can use this method, and stick to it.

2 comments:

  1. That's awesome! I had the same thought- I'm using technology a lot, I could be using it for scripture study. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm the same as you! When I heard that talk, I managed to memorize one scripture, then lost steam. Memorization isn't a talent for me as well. And like you, I've been thinking for years how I need to try again. I think I'll go for it too. Now where are my cards...?

    ReplyDelete