Thursday, November 8, 2012

Activity Days and Doughnut night

I got called into Activity Days on Sunday. There is a girl who is turning 8 this month that has special needs and I'm called specifically to be her helper. I love this little girl! She is the sweetest girl ever! She is actually the only primary age child I really know, so I'm really excited! The primary presidency also mentioned that I was to be an active part of the group of leaders as well. I'm excited to get to know the leaders better too!

Yesterday was the first activity. Nobody told me where to meet, (I might want to mention that Wednesday nights are the night that EVERYONE gets together... mutual, cubs, bears, webelows, activity days etc.) So there were people in every room, but I didn't know any of them (because the other ward that meets in the building also meet on Wednesday nights). I felt like an insecure teenager who didn't know where her first class was at school. haha. I eventually found them, but the insecure-teenager feeling never went away. I had no idea what the plan was, or what my roll was in the activity (the little girl hasn't started coming yet). The other leaders didn't introduce me to the girls, so they all kind of looked at me funny with the thought "What is she doing here? Who is she?" I didn't know any of the girls, and I felt very silly. I'm sure once I get involved in the planning of the meetings I'll feel better.

I want to be there for the girls. I want to be the type of leader that I had growing up. I want to love these girls unconditionally, and make them feel beautiful, and special, and wanted and valued. I hope I will be able to do that. This is a crucial time in their lives, and I want to help them in their development, both in the gospel, and with their feelings of self worth.

On a completely different note... I'm hosting my very first doughnut night tonight! My mom would do this yearly and make anywhere from 200-500 doughnuts and invite anyone and everyone that lived around us. It was an awesome tradition, and a wonderful way to get to know people around us.

Jonathan and I decided that we need to get to know the people that live in our building. So what better way than an informal party where they come and eat yummy doughnuts? I'm excited to make them, and hope that people show up. Stay tuned... I'll have pictures and updates on if anyone showed up :)

No comments:

Post a Comment