Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Anything Goes!

Last year, probably around June or so, I looked on Civic's (the local theatre here) website and saw they were doing a musical in March. I was thinking that this would be a good time in my life to do another show; I'm not pregnant, or nursing. My kids are old enough that they aren't needy like a baby is, Jonathan is in a good place with school (not too crazy busy yet) and he has a lot more flexibility than he will when he has a full time job.

Then the dreaming began. I started wondering if I could get a good part (I was dreaming of a lead, not THE lead, but one of the romantic leads) if I started preparing then. So I kind of did, I dreamed more than I prepared though...

Fast forward several months and I have an audition spot! Then the real prepping starts. I start watching youtube videos trying to revive my very poor tap skills. I start searching for the perfect audition song and I start messaging one of my friends from Western (who helped me SO MUCH!!!) because I was feeling so out of practice. I was doubting myself with EVERYTHING, even things I knew, like how to introduce myself at an audition.

A few days leading up to the audition I was practicing about an hour a day (Thanks Jonathan for giving me an hour of kid free time each day). Then the day came! I had bought a perfect dress, I had done my hair perfectly and I felt pretty good about my prep for my audition. This whole time, my prayer became "please help me to feel good about my performance in my audition, and it would be nice if I could make Hope Harcourt."

I ended up feeling really good about my audition, and I even made a friend! Bonus! She is in a similar stage of life as me, a mom and hasn't done theatre in several years. That felt good that I had someone who I could talk to and not feel crazy out of place.

A few days later I found out that I made one of the show girls (one of the lead's sidekicks) and I was worried about being able to keep to my standards. I called the director and she reassured me that things would be rated PG. So I accepted the role and became really excited!

I have to admit, that at first I was a little deflated (because I really really wanted Hope), but then got really excited when I started realizing what my part was.

I have started rehearsals this week and it's been such a blessing having something to think about and somewhere to go to get out of the house regularly. It's really nice to have adult interaction on a regular basis too.

I know frustrations will come, that's part of life. They have come, but I know that overall this will be a very fun experience for me and I'm so excited!!

**side note, I have told people that I got one of the lead dancing roles... not true, I'm actually not in many numbers (one of the deflations/frustrations so far). So the part I received is more of the lead's sidekick...

No comments:

Post a Comment