Saturday, June 29, 2013

The Idea of Home

I have been pondering on the idea of home for a bit now. There is a girl in my ward that has been in Indiana for at least 4 years (I'm actually not sure how long she's been there) while her husband has been getting his PhD. She mentioned to me one time that she calls West Lafayette home because that's where her family is. She said that she knows people who call where their family (family of origin, their parents and siblings, not husband and children) is, home. She said that she has found that they struggle to really embrace and enjoy where they are because it's not home.

I have been thinking about that, and I realized that I need to be better at that. Home is Indiana for me right now. But on the other hand home is where the heart is so they say, so does that mean that home is several places? I have been trying to call West Lafayette home, but what do I say when I come back to Utah?

When we lived in Provo, it was home, and coming up to my mom's house wasn't home. But now that I'm 1500 miles away, I'm finding I don't know what to call home. Especially this trip because so far Jonathan isn't with me, I'm feeling a pull back to him even though being here is wonderful.

1 comment:

  1. I understand your feelings... having my children in Texas, while parents in Idaho. I found joy in the theory of "bloom where you are planted". It took awhile, but Texas is our home and the home of our children... and we love our life here. Childhood home will always be Idaho, but as you say - home can be more than one place, and that is okay too! The home of your heart is where ever you and Jonathan are together - even after kids grow up!

    ReplyDelete