Thursday, August 16, 2012

Work update

So ever since I knew we were moving to Indiana (and before actually) I was looking at bridal shops that I could potentially apply at. There are two in the area. Chiffon Formal, and Bridal Boutique and Mr. Penguin's Tuxidos.

Chiffon carries the exact same dresses that I worked with in Provo (Bonus!) and I really love these designers. I contacted them first, about two months ago and sent in my resume and cover letter. I got a call from them a few weeks later saying that they would like to meet with me when I moved out here. I contacted them as soon as I could and had an interview with Connie (the manager/owner) today. As soon as I drove up I got really excited! The window displays were breath-taking! I walked in and the store was beautiful! Everything was beautifully organized, and displayed. ... Needless to say I was happy to be interviewing with them. By the end, Connie said she liked me, and was pretty open with me that she won't know till the end of the month if they have a spot available. It seems like they are a great fit with my selling technique, and my values, I would LOVE to work there. I was hoping I would know sooner because I wanted to start before the end of the month.

Mr. Penguin is the other store I applied at. I applied with them about a month ago and we have been in contact almost ever since. Frank (I think) called me to ask a few questions about my resume really soon after I submitted it, and we talked for a few minutes. He called me about a week later and asked if we could do a phone interview because he has a position available and wants to see if I was a good fit. At the phone interview we talked about our selling strategies and other things for over an hour! He was also very honest with me and said I seemed to be a good fit. I felt really good about it as well, I felt like I would be a good fit as well. He did everything but offer me a position over the phone (I'm not saying this to be boastful, I promise). I got a call from them today and I'm going in to interview again tomorrow. Basically to see the store, and to make sure I'm not some creeper or something.

I was told (both by Chiffon, Fred, and from what I saw on their website) that they work with brides that have a bit of a stricter budget. I totally understand that, I had one too, but I'm wondering if I want to try to work at the higher end store (Chiffon). Mr. Penguin does sell gowns that are up there price-wise but they also have gowns as low as $45. I worked with a lot of brides that were on a strict budget in Provo, and not to say anything bad about them, but I enjoyed putting girls in gowns that I thought were the most beautiful in the store. Granted, I don't want to work at a place that has gowns for $10,000 or anything crazy like that, but somewhere I don't feel like I have to apologize for the appearance of the store (I felt that way sometimes about Bridal Center). Does that make any sense?

So... I have a dilemma. I guess time will tell what I decide to do, and if I even get an offer from both companies.

Just thought I would update everyone.

2 comments:

  1. What an exciting dilemma! Can't wait to hear about the next chapter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, if you like both equally, follow the profit. (Okay, sorry, bad econ major joke.)

    ReplyDelete