Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Venturing Out

Since we have moved out to Ohio, I don't get out much, out meaning outside of my apartment. I don't really have a reason to... Jonathan has the car all day (which I mention a lot, I honestly don't mind, it just is a reason I don't have a job, and also makes it harder to go out.) but besides that, I don't have a reason to be couped up all day. I sit inside... all day.

This entire time we have been here, I have never gone out by myself (due to my awesome sense of direction... I am afraid I might get lost, and also because of some experiences in Missouri, which made me not trust walking on the street, unless I'm super familiar with the community) ... Well, today we ran out of quarters to do laundry, and once I set my mind on doing something, it needs to get done, thus... the laundry HAD to get done today. I also failed to grab some tomatoes last night at the store for dinner tonight (see previous post) and I really wanted some tomatoes. These two issues could easily be fixed, I just had to go outside, and do some walking. So I called one of my few friends out here (one of my friends that I feel comfortable asking for food ingredients) who lives just down the street, to ask to borrow some tomatoes. She said yes, and I was on my way. Who knew that the sun shines during the day? Who knew that it's not chokingly humid out here? I sure didn't, because I never go outside! But today I did, and I had fun doing it too.

It's kind of pathetic that getting out of the house is a big deal, but today it was! It was a beautiful day, and I didn't mind the walking. I didn't even get any weird looks, and there was no suspicious incidents. Who know's I may just go on walks more often.

5 comments:

  1. There's gotta be a struggling young mom who would love some free babysitting for the price of transportation?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a good idea, I don't know how to get the word out. Suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  3. A thought: when I lived in NYC, I was much less likely to get cat-calls in my little Dominican Republic-neighborhood if: 1) I wore something like a baggy t-shirt and sweats 2) My hair was up in a boring bun.

    But, if you're needing some attention when you go on a walk, put on a skirt and have your hair down. But alas, you're so cute you may not be able to avoid unwanted attention, even in sneakers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hm. Announce it in RS. Tell RS Pres. or VTs. If you see a mom struggling on sac mtg., offer go sit with her. She'll be so grateful, and then you can offer to help at other times. We have a few friends who help us in this exact way and I consider them a godsend

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a good idea, I don't go to RS, but I bet I could get the word out :) (I go to primary)

    ReplyDelete