Sunday, June 10, 2012

Pinterest...

My mom called me the other day and we chatted for a bit :) I told her how proud I was that I have made a weekly dinner menu, two weeks in a row. After telling me how awesome that is, she told me that I should get a Pinterest account, because there are amazing recipes on there. I believed her, but I didn't want to get one. Not because I wasn't interested, but because I had a feeling I was too interested. Let me explain; especially for those who don't know what Pinterest is. It is an online pinboard, basically. All you do is you make different "boards" or categories, and then you "pin" or save different files/websites/pictures etc to the "board". Basically, what it sounded like to me, was googling things, but on crack (excuse the expression). I love to google things, and I love to have ideas, I love the idea of having all of my ideas in one place.

A lot of my friends (and co workers) pin a lot of wedding things, home decor things, recipes, sewing projects etc. ... Do you see where I'm going with this? Maybe not, I would be addicted, the moment I started looking at the site. Once I got bored of looking at sewing projects, I would switch to looking at home decor, and once I got sick of that I would start looking at wedding dresses, then crafting projects, then... NOW do you see where I'm going with this? I would never get off! I really didn't want to start something that I knew would suck me in and waste my time, ESPECIALLY right now. I have all the time in the world to waste! I mean come on... what do I do all day really? I sit on my computer and I check my email, then I check my facebook, and after a half hour on there I wonder if anyone has emailed me. So I check my email again... Then I turn on the TV!!! It's horrible! I really didn't want another thing to add on to my time wasting list!

I knew pinterest had the potential to be worse than facebook. Facebook at least gets old after looking at it five times in a row. Pinterest on the other hand... There are thousands and thousands of pins on the site, and I could look at all of them!

Now that you see why I really didn't want one, I'm going to continue my story.

I told all of this to my mom and she eventually understood. But not before some serious lobbying on her part. So I won this discussion... but it was too late; she had planted the seed... the pinterest seed. It was in my head, and I had all of these day dreams of amazing things I could find, and all of the benefits of using pinterest. But I was going to be strong! ... (Famous last words) I found this amazing cute maternity shirt online the next day (I don't even remember how I found it... I was probably googling something... wasting time) it was so easy to make, and cheap too! I really really REALLY wanted to remember it, so that when my someday comes and I need a maternity shirt, I can make this one. I was trying to think of a way that I could save the website, and the only thing that came to mind was Pinterest. GAH! You have got to be kidding me!!! I don't want a pinterest! But, alas, it was the only way I could think about saving this link to a place that I would remember it in the coming months/years when I need it.

So... I set up a pinterest account. I really wasn't excited about it either (I'm serious when I say that, you read my rant about why I didn't want one, so I'm sure you knew I was serious) But, I am proud to say that I haven't spent hours on it yet, and I have had it for several days (ok, maybe only since Friday). We'll see how I do when I have an entire day. Wish me luck.

6 comments:

  1. I have something for you to do. Go to familysearch.org and sign up to do indexing. It's pretty easy, you can do it at your leisure, it's really important, and you'd be helping a lot of people get on the road to qualifying for something way more valuable than anything Google can give them. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks dad, I actually have done that, and I enjoy that too! I try to do two hours every month of indexing/family work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! I'm the opposite! I wanted to catalogue ideas I'd found and wanted to return to, but thought I had to have a Facebook account. So I reluctantly joined Facebook so I could have P interest.

    I read a blog post recently that involved a discussion of interest pros and cons. It was really interesting. Would you be interested in reading it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. And welcome back to blogging! We've missed you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. sure! Send it my way! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Be strong my friend! :) Good luck tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete