Wednesday, June 6, 2012

ok... It's been too long (Enchilada Casserole)

I'm really sorry that I haven't updated this in over a year! It was just really easy for me to rationalize not updating this since I was close to everyone that reads this (besides the Chapmans, but Jordan keeps in touch with Jonathan). But now that Jonathan and I have moved away, I'm going to try to update this more often.

What really got me thinking about doing this is I found an amazing recipe that I really really like! I made it today and I have a few tweaks that I will be trying next time, but I like it the way I made it. ... Here it is

... First I'm going to post the original recipe, and then I'll tell you what I did.

Bean Enchilada Casserole

Ingredients

PAM® Original No-Stick Cooking Spray
1 can (10 oz each) red enchilada sauce
1 can whole kernel corn
1 can (16 oz each) Rosarita® No Fat Traditional Refried Beans
12 soft corn tortillas (6 inch)
2 cups Black Beans, drained, rinsed
2 Diced Tomatoes,
2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese

Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray 13x9-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Spread half of enchilada sauce in bottom of dish. Drain corn
Spread about half of refried beans on 6 tortillas. Place tortillas, bean-side up, over sauce in dish, overlapping to fit. Stir together remaining enchilada sauce, corn, black beans and tomatoes in large bowl. Spread half of corn mixture over tortillas in dish. Sprinkle with 1 cup cheese.
Repeat layering with remaining refried beans and tortillas, corn mixture and remaining 1 cup cheese.
Bake 35 minutes or until hot in center and bubbly around edges. Let stand 5 minutes before cutting into 8 pieces.

Cook's Tip:
Top casserole with your favorite enchilada toppings --- shredded lettuce, sour cream and avocado, if desired. No frozen corn on hand? Use 1 can (11 oz) whole kernel corn, drained instead.

Ok, here's what I did:

All the same ingredients with these few added ones
Cooked Rice
Green Bell Peppers
Green Onions

I didn't layer anything... I just mixed it all together. I don't love when casseroles are hard to cut with a spatula, so I cut the tortillas into squares and mixed it all in!

Additional ingredients I will try next time:
Chicken (feel free to add any other meat you like)
Cilantro
Garlic
Salsa
Lime Juice
(and I might saute' the green pepper, garlic and regular onion (if I don't have green onion) and add it to the enchilada sauce before I add it all in. )

I know this looks like I didn't like it at all, I really did! I just think this will make it even better! I also want to try it with the toppings next time, the lettuce, avocado, and sour cream.

I hope you enjoy :)

1 comment:

  1. Sounds so good! I wish the kids were more into this style of food. That's okay though, because they need more exposure to it.

    ReplyDelete