Tuesday, September 10, 2013

My Full-Time Job

On Saturday we went to a social gathering for Jonathan's entire college, there were lots of people there. I was asked several times what I did, I would consciously hold my head up high and tell them that I stay home with our baby. I noticed that there was a lot of respect in people's reactions. One lady who had a ten month old of her own responded "wow! That's awesome, I couldn't do it. I tried for two months and then had to get out of the house." Another response was "wow! That's a full time job!" to which I responded "yep... 24/7 with few breaks."

I'm really glad that people are respectful to my decision to stay home. Often times there is a misunderstanding that you are a lesser woman if you stay home with your kids. I have wondered if we sometimes bring that upon ourselves. It's not uncommon to hear (especially in the professional world) a wife of a professional to say "I'm *just* a mom" or say "I used to do _____ before I had kids." To that response I want to say "No, it's a blessing to be able to stay home and raise your children. It's the best place you can be... your kids need you." Granted, there's always exceptions to the rules, but for the most part, this is where I need to be, with my baby, nurturing, loving, and teaching her at home.

3 comments: