Monday, October 15, 2012

Roasted Tomato Soup

[caption id="attachment_216" align="aligncenter" width="640"] Who wouldn't want a little of this on a cold day for dinner?[/caption]

 

We found this veggie stand (I think I may have mentioned it earlier) where I can get 10 big vine-ripe size tomatoes for $1! I was pretty excited about that, so I found a copy cat recipe for Corner Bakery and Cafe Roasted Tomato soup. We tried it last week, and it was a MAJOR hit! So I'm going to share the recipe. We liked it so much that we made it again yesterday.

Tomato Basil Soup Recipe (Corner Bakery)

Chicken Stock – 4 cups
Olive Oil - ¼ cup
Can of tomatoes – 1 28 oz can
Fresh Roma Tomatoes – 3 pounds
Salt – 1 tablespoon
Pepper – 1 ½ teaspoons
White onion – 2 cups chopped
Garlic Cloves – 6 diced
Red Pepper Flakes – ¼ - ½ teaspoons (depending on how spicy you'd like)
Fresh Basil Leaves – 2 Tablespoons
Thyme – 1 teaspoon

Cook up some Roasted Tomato Basil Soup just like it tastes on a rainy day at Corner Bakery
Warm up your oven to a toasty 425 F
Cut your fresh tomatoes in half and make a nice olive oil, salt, and pepper Jacuzzi for them to simmer in. Toss them around and then put them in one layer on a baking sheet for around 45 minutes.
While the tomatoes are relaxing, grab a large pot and put it over medium high heat. Sauté the chopped onions, garlic, and red pepper until the onions start to get a little brown tan.
Then bring the canned tomatoes, basil, thyme, and chicken stock to the pot and make it a party.
Finally, add the toasty tomatoes into the pot, and don't forget to pour in the extra seasoned oil that they were simmering in.
Simmer the mixture uncovered for about 45 minutes and then puree everything into a uniform mixture.
Garnish with the whole basil leaves.
Serve it warm on cold days and cold on hot days.

*We did a few things a little differently. We pureed the roasted tomatoes before we added them into the soup, and then left everything else a little chunky. Last night we pureed everything, and I like the chunky soup texture better.

**We also didn't add as much red pepper flakes as it calls for (just one little shake, I don't like my food spicy) and next time I'm going to try halving the amount of basil and thyme it calls for.

I hope you enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Mmm! I've got to try this. We've got our tomatoe bumper-crop right now. :)

    ReplyDelete