Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Washington DC and Family

This last weekend we went to DC and spent some time with my family. We had a really good time, and everything worked out better than expected! My favorite part was just being with my family, I just love them. We saw most of what there is to see on the Mall that we could in one day. We saw the Air and Space Museum, Native American Museum, Museum of Natural History, and American History Museum. We also ate at We the Pizza (very good, I highly recommend it!) saw the Library of Congress, The Jefferson Memorial, Lincoln Memorial, Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial, Franklin D. Roosevelt Memorial, and the WWII, Korean, and Vietnam war monuments.

It was a full day of walking, talking, eating and having fun! Some of my favorite things were the Library of Congress, that building is probably one of the most ornate, and decked out buildings I have ever seen! They don't make buildings like that anymore. It was so beautifully thought out, and executed! I really loved it. I also enjoyed the precious stones exhibit in the Natural History Museum (what girl wouldn't). I saw one of the largest (and rarest) diamonds in the world. It is a blue diamond and it's ridiculous. There was a ton of people at that particular exhibit, so I didn't get to admire it as long as I would have liked (actually I probably got to look at it for less than 5 seconds). Some of the other gems they had there were incredibly beautiful as well.

Since there were so many people there, it was cramped, we were all going around in a line, kind of like a herd of cattle, and at one point I felt someone trying to push their way through to see some of the Gems. I look behind me and there was an Asian girl pushing her way through, then she continued to extend her arms, and snap some photos. She had no personal bubble, and was pretty aggressive in how she was getting her pictures. We all looked at each other and tried not to laugh. It was pretty funny. It's just interesting to me how there are some people from different parts of the world that don't understand the concept of a line. I have come across a few different ethnicities that just don't understand that... I find it kind of humorous, and try to remember that they aren't trying to be rude, that's just how they do it in their culture.

I also really loved the section in the American History Museum that had all of the First Lady's dresses from each Inauguration Ball. It was fun to see that the dresses either embodied the style of the time, or the personality of the First Lady. I loved seeing all of the beautiful gowns (of course I did). Also in the same museum they had a touching exhibit on all of the wars that were fought by the U.S. and they had the Star Spangled Banner, I also loved those two!

My favorite memorial was probably the WWII (of the war memorials), and either the Lincoln or the FDR (of the presidents). I just love the quotes they used, and the feeling of these memorials.

Anyway... the moral of the story is, we had a great time! I was so grateful that Matt and Ash, and Jeff could make it. I was also super bummed that Dave and Jenny couldn't come.

1 comment:

  1. Adam and I lived in DC for two summers, and got to see most of those exhibits too, but over several months. I remember really loving the gems too. And of course, even before we had our additional boys, we spent some time admiring the dinosaurs in that same building.

    ReplyDelete