Thursday, July 19, 2012

Maternity Temple Dress

This week, my major goal was to get the pattern made for my maternity temple dress. I had this brilliant idea (back when I was pregnant, over a year ago) to make a maternity temple dress. But as I sat on the floor, looking at my pattern pieces the other day, I thought, do I really want to make a temple dress? Why? And as I thought about it, all of my reasons didn't hold much water. 1) I wanted one because I didn't want a dress that 1/5 of every other woman in the temple was wearing. As I have thought about it, that's not the point of wearing a temple dress at all, the point is to wear something that covers your body and doesn't bring attention to yourself. 2) I wanted a maternity dress to wear that didn't look like a bag. Well, in Indiana, I'll only be going to the temple once a month, so I'll only really use it maybe 3 or 4 times, if that. Plus, I don't really have access to friends like I did in Provo to help me make sure the fit is good, and that I don't make it too big, or too small. The dress I have now really would work with a pregnant belly, so I think I'll just stick with it.

I'm also finding out that I may not love sewing as much as I thought I did. Well, sewing intricate projects, like clothing. I still plan on making a few things. I still plan on making curtains for my new apartment, and making a diaper bag, since cute and affordable ones don't exist (or they are ridiculously hard to find) among other things.

I bought the fabric already, which really made me wonder if I should just do it anyway, but I can just save it for blessing clothing for my future kids.

3 comments:

  1. You are so wise. It does make a lot of sense to save your fabric for other special occasions and just enjoy the dress you have.

    What do you mean you're not into sewing anymore?!? You're like my sewing idol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Smart. If the amount of time you'll spend sewing it not exceeded enough by the amount of time you'll spend wearing it, well, it may not be worth it. Besides, maybe you're just burnt out from your last big sewing project. I bet if you took a big enough break from sewing (at least cloths), I bet you'd enjoy it again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol! You are funny! I like to sew, I just need to find something I can start and finish in a day or something. I really get the most enjoyment out of finishing something, but with the projects I get myself into, I don't have a finished project for several months.
    I guess I was just not in the mood to sew that day... I do enjoy seeing things come together as well. I don't know. I'm just confused :)

    ReplyDelete