Monday, January 14, 2013

Stretch Marks

While I was in Utah, within a matter of days I went from having no stretch marks to about 10! I had a few mixed feelings about it.  This is something about pregnancy that I didn't fully embrace before I got pregnant. I knew it was a possibility, but I also know a few women who didn't get them at all. I would deal with the idea by just pushing it out of my head. So when they came on so quickly, I didn't have time to respond. BAM! There they were... and they are never going away!
Now I have to say, I'm so grateful for a supportive husband who loves me and thinks I'm beautiful regardless of what changes are happening. As a matter of fact, every time I mention anything that may possibly be negative about my body he always says without skipping a beat "and that's ok!" He's so awesome! As a matter of fact, the vibe I get from him is that he loves me all the more because I'm willing to give up the body I had before to bring children into the world. (I only share this because I'm confident that all other women who read this also have husband's who feel the same way). This makes my feelings on the "stretch mark" subject a lot better. I'm so grateful for that! I don't know what I would do if I had to deal with the knowledge that deep down, my husband was grossed out by my stretch marks.
Anyway.... back to what I was saying. I caught a glimps of myself in the mirror the other day and oh my heck! The entire underside of my belly is all stretched out! It really shocked me! Jonathan was a bit worried, and he came into the bathroom to make sure I was ok. I was... I just showed him my stretch marks, and we marveled together for a minute. I probably have close to 30 now... I haven't counted, but I'm sure it's close to that. As I am trying to accept this new part of pregnancy (which I'm finding is kind of a struggle) I decided that I just need to change the way I think. I have decided that stretch marks are a rite of passage. Now that I have them, I am a real woman. (not saying that those who got through pregnancy without them aren't... it's just a rite of passage for me).

That's right! "Don't be insecure, girl... Own [those stretch marks]! Work that [belly]!" (get the quote?)

2 comments:

  1. Daaang. DAAANG. Can I getcho numba? Way to be positive. You can think of it this way, you'll always be able to win an argument with Jonathan! He'll say, "Will you massage my feet? I got the mail for you!" And you can say, "Will you massage MY feet? I carried your baby for nine months, got 30 stretch marks, and THEN delivered her!" Works like a charm.;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just pretend they are tattoos beautiful water ripples. I have a post to write on this. Hopefully I'll sit down and do it soon.

    ReplyDelete