Monday, January 7, 2013

A Different Christmas

This Christmas was a different one for Jonathan and I. A few months ago, we were trying to decide if we could afford going out to Utah for Christmas. We decided that if all of our parents pitched in, then we would be able to swing it financially. We figured we didn't want to just ask them to pay for our tickets, so we asked for plane tickets instead of gifts for Christmas.
Everyone was super willing to do that for us, but that meant basically no gifts to open Christmas morning. I was a bit ... worried (that's not the right word, but I can't think of the right one right now) about how I would respond to this reality on Christmas. Gifts are a big deal for me... they always have been. But I'm happy to report that I was very pleasantly surprised. My expectations were correct, we didn't have very many gifts to open on Christmas morning, but I did still get to have the same joy I always do as I watched my family members open the gifts we gave.

I LOVED my time in Utah, I LOVED spending so much time with both sides of my family. To me, that's what the season should be full of... family. I'm so grateful for the relationship I have with my family. It seems that regardless of how long the time has been between seeing each other, we always pick up where we left off. It's a good feeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment