Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Just another day

I try to keep my blog posts pretty positive most of the time. But I just want to show a little real life.

Today I finished a car seat cover for a friend, so I thought I would try to send it today since she is due soon. When we got to the post office, I asked Cambria to be my big helper and push Corbin's stroller for me. She did that and then when I started looking for the right thing to put my items in (is it just me or are all the boxes crazy confusing... which one is the free box? Is this flat rate? Where are the free envelopes? Why is there nobody to ask?) The Post office is already a stressful place for me, I don't want to get ripped off by putting something in the wrong box, but I really don't feel like I can interrupt and ask a worker since they are always helping someone else.

Anyway... then Cambria started opening all the mail boxes. I tried to get her to stop, but she wouldn't listen to me. I didn't have a way to enforce anything without creating a scene, so I let that slide. Then I did a horrible thing: I asked her to stand by me while I waited in line (how dare I!). I asked her to help me push Corbin over, she didn't listen, so I pushed him myself. She had a fit (screaming, rolling on the floor, the whole shebang). I decided the best way to deal with that was to ignore it. Then since she wasn't getting the attention she wanted she started pushing Corbin, and rocking the stroller side to side (the way the wheels don't move) and pulling on the sun shade (sideways... that's a great way to break it). I asked her to stop and she kept doing it. At one point she climbed up on the stroller and sat on Corbin! ARE YOU SERIOUS?!? So I picked her up and told her that she wasn't aloud down since she wasn't obeying mommy. That didn't go over well. I managed to hold her in my arms (during her best efforts to get out of my arms) and get to the counter. I placed my package on the scale and the worker looked at me and said "she's a feisty one". My only thought was, you have no idea... I had to put her down to get my card, and by the time I had my card out she had grabbed the stroller and pulled, It tipped backwards and Corbin was head down, Corbin could have slid out and hit his head. Thankfully he was strapped in, and didn't move. That was it. She was not aloud down. ever. again. I held her while she threw herself every way possible. At one point I was holding her hips as she was upside down wrapping her arms around my knee. Then the worker said "have kids, they said. It'll be fun, they said" I didn't appreciate that. I just said "they are fine as long as we never leave the house."

Then I left, with a kicking and screaming (literally screaming, not crying... like, ear piercing screaming) toddler and trying to push my baby in the stroller. I knew every eye was on me, and I also knew I was blushing like crazy. I really wanted someone to say something like "you are doing a good job," or "I've been there, it'll pass" or something. Nobody said anything, nobody even made eye contact.

It could have been worse, Corbin was an angel the entire time. I'm grateful that he didn't get hurt, and that he was happy regardless of what his sister was doing to him.

If anyone is wondering when we will have another baby... not for a long time... a LOOOOOOONNNNNGGG time.

1 comment:

  1. Missy, you are doing a good job. Look at how you didn't lose your cool, even when you were super stressed. We have an anti-child, anti-baby culture at present, with not nearly enough compassion, and I am sorry that you young mothers have to live with that. But I admire all of you so much. Keep on doing your best. We need moms and children in this world!

    ReplyDelete