Saturday, August 16, 2014

The Recent Past

Cambria has been so fun and so frustrating all at the same time. One day this week my fuse got so short that I snatched her up and put her in her dark room and slammed the door (ok, maybe not slammed, but I wanted to) I was so fed up, I don't even remember what she was doing, but it was something. Then I locked myself in my room and prayed. Asking for forgiveness for loosing my temper, and asking to help me see the cuteness that Cambria has, to enjoy her joy and not let her fits get to me as much.

When I finished my prayer, and got her she was so happy to see me. I said I was sorry and she gave me some really tender, sweet hugs. I'll take that as an apology as well. She did so much better the rest of the day.

That night at dinner Jonathan and I were relishing in our adorable baby. She was being so cute, and so happy! When she is happy, she has a way of making everyone around her happy. I realized how good she was after my prayer and I realized how grateful I am that Heavenly Father can help me, and help her be in a better mood.

It's not uncommon for Jonathan and me to sit together at night for a good few minutes talking about all the cute things Cambria did that day. I realized last night as I also remembered my least proud moment of the day when my temper was too close to being lost... (or maybe it was lost...) that it's probably a really good thing that we focus on her cuteness and relish in the joy she brings. It fills me, and helps me prepare for the next day.

On a completely different thought:

I need some advice: Cambria has been fighting her naps, and I don't get my sweet cuddles in the middle of the day that I cherish and help me refill my "I have a sweet girl" bucket. I think that may be why I'm living on a shorter fuse with her (maybe it's the raging hormones, I often am much more irritable while pregnant... can't wait for my hormones to normalize...). Any suggestions on how to help her be calm as we rock and sing some songs before she goes to sleep?

Also... I'm really struggling with a daughter that enjoys disobeying me (us). She doesn't respond to us telling her that what she's doing is not good, she rarely responds to time-outs (and I really would prefer not go give them to her for every little thing she does wrong) and she just laughs at me if I try to talk to her and help her understand why she needs to lay down on the changing table rather than stand (for example). I would love for her to actually come when I ask her to come here (especially since in a few short weeks I won't be physically able to chase her down to get her shoes on, or stop her from touching something hot, or running in the street) right now she just runs away and laughs. ... really struggling. Any suggestions? I'd love some insight!

2 comments:

  1. you'll figure it out, I have confidence in you - - - remember, The Lord really does know her the very best and WILL give you the guidance you need specifically for her - trust Him, and pray for knowledge and wisdom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with your mom that you will figure it out. That said, remember: for kids, it's all about incentives. Unfortunately, "being good" is not good enough reason. Remember to use both positive rewards and negative consequences. And pray pray pray for wisdom and patients.

    ReplyDelete