Sunday, January 26, 2014

My mom

My mom's birthday was this week. It has caused me to reflect on her life, and her example to me. She is seriously one of the most amazing women I know. When I talk about my mom, especially when I go into detail (not the times that I brag about her, but when I talk about the things she's been through, the things she does, how she continues to be a mom, and a wonderful nana etc etc etc) the person I talk to often gets a look in their eye and says "your mom sounds pretty amazing" sometimes they even say "angelic" and I agree wholeheartedly.

What makes her so awesome, you ask? Well, let me tell you:

My mom lives each day with a smile on her face.
She works hard and doesn't complain.
When my mom goes through trials, she doesn't often say "why me?" but "what can I learn from this?" or "what does Heavenly Father want me to do".
I often hear the words "I just want to do what He wants me to do" spoken by my mother.
My mom LOVES her family, she lives for her family, she would give anything and everything she could for them, for their benefit, and for their progress.
She is true to her faith, and her covenants, even in the face of adversity.
My mom serves and serves and serves and then when she's done, she goes and serves some more.
My mom loves to have fun, and would throw a party for any event that she deems worthy (which is almost anything).
She loves traditions, traditions is a major component of the glue that stuck our family together.
She is continually trying to be better, sometimes we give her a hard time for all her lists, but hey, if it helps her to be more organized what's so bad about that?
She doesn't talk bad about people, she loves everyone.
She's tactless :) Now let me explain, usually that's a bad attribute. With my mom it doesn't matter how she says something because you know she loves you unconditionally, and she's just trying to help you be better. I never have to wonder what my mom thinks of me because she'll tell me if there's something I need to work on.
She gives the best hugs, oh and back scratches.
After an argument, I never wonder if she loves me, because she always gives me a hug and tells me that she loves me. No matter how angry I was, I'm not anymore. Hearing that from her gets me every time.
It doesn't matter if you are her biological child, an in-law, out-law, step, or foster, if you are part of her family you're blood. Water is definitely not thinner than blood in her eyes.

Oh, did I mention that she raised 6 kids (and a foster child), kept the house clean; canned fruit, salsa, syrup, and jams; had a garden, cooked dinner every night, held family home evening religiously, made mealtime a priority, did family scripture study and family prayer regularly, and was able to maintain a good relationship with her kids, her sisters and her parents. Oh, and she did a major tradition monthly, and had dinner parties almost every Sunday, and did it with a smile?

Need I say more? My mom is awesome. If I turn out to be half the woman that she is by the time I turn... her age ;) I'll be a happy woman.

Love you mom! Happy birthday.

1 comment:

  1. You are too kind - - - but THANKS (I wish I could give you a hug right now!!)

    ReplyDelete