Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Yay for Visiting Teaching

On Monday I had a full day of Visiting Teaching. It was so fun! I was really surprised how long each visit lasted. I was basically out of my house for the majority of the day, which was SO GOOD. Sometimes if I don't have an errand to run, I don't leave the house all day. Sometimes that's ok, actually often it's ok, but it had been getting to me. So I was grateful for the excuse to be around people for the majority of the day.

As I gave the message I had an interesting thought. In the message it says "Visiting teaching is an expression of our discipleship and a way to honor our covenants as we serve and strengthen one another." I had never looked at visiting teaching as a way that I keep my covenants. It's true though, we promise to morn with those that morn, and comfort those that stand in need of comfort, along with lift up the hands that hang down. That's exactly what the purpose of visiting teaching is, it's a way to make sure that each sister in the ward is being taken care of. I think if I looked at visiting teaching more in that light, I may try to be a better visiting teacher.

Just a thought.

1 comment:

  1. I so know what you mean! Visiting teaching has been a great experience for me since I've been in our married student ward. At first it was great for making friends, but I'm growing to really feel sincere concern for the sisters I get to visit. We're definitely the Lord's hands on earth!

    ReplyDelete